Friday, August 7, 2009

Untitled 3

His eyes are a rare shape of pale green - almost like jade. She feels herself begin to return the smile in his eyes. For a moment she forgets that she is on the run, and begins to unwind. An odd image of them running through a field plays in her mind. "Could this be him? Grandma did say I could find him in a old forgotten world." The door slams closed behind them making her turn. Her heart begins to beat rapidly, but when the man turns around she calms down.
"Hey, what is it? You look like you've seen a ghost!"
"Oh, I just thought I saw my ex-best friend. We're um, in a fight right now."
He didn't believe her but he left it at that. There was something odd about this girl. Her long dark brown hair was dishealved. It looked like she had run through a hurricane. The girls he had seen around most certainly not wear that particular look. She looked scared, her eyes kept darting around the room - and her body language was at competition with a wound rubber band. Overall she had a nice appearance. The dark hair was a wonderful contrast to her pale skin. His sister Haley would call her an 'ivory', whatever that meant. Her eye, were the prettiest feature to him. They weren't all together green nor were they exactly brown. It's as if those two colors had drawn a barrier and decided to both hold rank. The inner color was a dark brown - like new turned earth after it's rained. The green was like the moss that grew on the bark. It complemented her nicely. Her cheeks were a little red, and that, he supposed was because she had to have been running. There was even a sprinkling of freckles all over her face.

"I didn't get you name, and that's ok. I was just wondering if you'd like to share some hot chocolate with me. Don't let Jack scare you with the coffee facade. We have the BEST hot chocolate in all of the US!"
"Su..su...sure. I'd like that, but I can't stay long. . . I've got to...to....meet my friends."
He knew that again she was lying but there was something important about this girl. He knew he had to keep him with her - he was told that when she came into his life, that her's would be in his hands. That if she was no longer in his care she would cease to exist. He didn't know who "she" was or what the heck his Uncle had been talking about. All he knew was that something clicked with her and he had to make suer it stayed that way.

"Jack! Yo Jackie-poo! There's a change in order! Bring two hot-chocolates to my table!"
"Urh boy you know I don't like dat name. Two chocolates it'll be."
"Thanks Jack! Come, follow me madame and I shall show you ze most wonderful table in all of ze land!"
Ana felt bad for lying to him, but who could she trust? His hand was warm and soft in hers. It fit perfectly.
"You will know Anne my dear, when you have met him."
"Meet who Grandmother? I don't know what your talking about!"
"You will. When you see him, he'll be in an old world forgotten surrounded by past legends. He will have a bodyguard who blends in - but he is yours. Just as you are his. Be always with him - your life depends upon it my dear.
"Grandma! What are you talking about? Why does my life reside with a total stranger! That's so silly!"
"I can't tell you. Your mother knows, but she didn't listen. Your life will be hard now. I've tried, God knows I have. Always be prepared. You never know when you'll get a piece of paper that will change your life. . . Ana. . Ana....
"ANA!! Hello? Ya there?"
"Oh, sorry. I was just thinking."

The wonderful table Ace had been describing was set into the back of the room. They had the vantage of seeing who entered and left the cafe. Jack came with their two hot chocolates. Ana graciously accepted her and wrapped her cold fingers around the mug. She lifted the warm mug to her lips and drank down the perfectly temperatured hot chocolate. She closed her eyes and felt the warmth spread, her fingers and toes defrosted and the core of her began to climb in temperature. When she opened her eyes she saw Ace looking at her oddly. She quickly cast her eyes away and began finished her inspection of the cafe. Since they were in the back it would be easier. it was a box and they were in the back left hand side. The entrance was diagonally across them and the bar was on that side too. In fact the bar took up the whole right side. The window paralleled the back wall and had tables right up against the windows. It made it so that dinners could sip of their coffee of drink of choice and people watch. Ana relaxed when she saw that the blinds and been pulled down and titled making it harder for the people outside to see in. That's the last thing she wanted, was Mr. Man In Black to see her and catch her. The booths to the furthest wall looked so comfy! You could tell they were broken in by years of use. The little table candles had been lit and added to the old jazz feel of the cafe.

"My name is Ana by the way. Thank you for suggesting the hot chocolate, it is the best is the US!"
"No problem - you looked like you could use it."
She froze with the drink halfway to her mouth. Was he one of them?
"Wow, take it easy there. I just meant you looked cold, thats all. Listen. I didn't know how to say it or if I should, but like is there an ex-boyfriend trying to hurt you or anything?"
Her heart beat frantically. What could she say? Could she trust him? She only had meet him! But he feels different. There is something about him, and her grandmother did say she'd find him - but is he the him she was speaking of? How could she tell?
She took a deep breath and held it. She couldn't sit here forever. She slowly moved her eyes to his - and there was the answer. Yes, she could trust him.
"I. . . uh. . .it's complicated. I can't really tell you because I don't know if I can trust you, and I don't want you to think I'm crazy."
"You can trust me - I'll get you a sheet with a hundred guys all saying they can trust me. Hey, don't worry 'bout me. I've been on these streets forever - know 'em like the back of my hand."
"Ok, but I did warn you. There is a Man In Black and he's chasing me. I don't know why, all I can tell you is that they want me - and let's just say I won't be let go if they do get me."
It was her! Ace was paralyzed for a minute as he let it sink in. So his Uncle wasn't joking around! He quickly looked around and noticed that Jack was looking in their direction. Jack had known Ace's true identity all along - that Ace wasn't some street kid with no parents. Ace gave a unnoticeable nod and Jack went into the back.
"I knew it. You didn't believe me. I should not have told you. I have to leave. Thanks again."
"No! I was just thinking, he come on. Cut me some slack will ya? Gee! Don't go. Have some dinner with me I know this great food joint"
And stood there like an idiot. She knew she could trust him, but that didn't mean that she could completely let her guard down and besides she was pretty hungry. She looked at Ace, and found that he was looking at her. He wasn't looking at her like all the other guys did - with that look of shes-just-a-piece-of-ass look. His look was calculating. He caught her looking at her and averted his eyes but not before she caught the message. It was like a greeting to a fellow friend. He got up and left some money on the table.
"Come on Ana. I know where we can go that will make you double think about how good your grandmother's homemade dinner is."
With a small smile on her face Ana followed Ace out of the door and unto the semi-lit street.

2 comments:

  1. Love this story. It's actually inspiring me to write!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Sara! I'd love to read your writings :)

    ReplyDelete