Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Escape

The snow had just started to fall, tiny little flakes lazily drifting down from the heavens. The day was coming close to an end as I continued walking up the hill. The once bearable air got colder - stealing what little heat I had left. It was quite, like the quite where the woods' hold its breathe. I kept looking over my shoulder expecting to see something, anything and all I saw was the snow. It started to stick to the tall grass besides the path, and on the ground. The trees began to get that white frosting on it's branches. I lifted my fingers and felt the tiny snow pile upon my head. This use to bring a smile upon my lips, but it only left my feeling empty and sad. It mad my heart wrench at the thought of never being in a snowball fight again with my brother, or talking about the snow covered landscape with my mother.

Off in the distance a bird cawed. The snow began to pick up, and also became a little thicker. I could not stop and get lost in the snow's hypnotic fall, I had to keep going, mom told me not to stop and think but to just keep walking. The air was so cold that to breathe hurt. It was seeping into every pore on my body: my toes, my fingers, my nose, my ears were all starting to feel the wrath of winter. Off in the distance I heard noises. I had to keep going, I no longer had a choice.

As I walked toward the crest in the hill, the noises got louder. I could now tell that there were men, horses, and a few dogs over the rise. What were so many men and animals doing out in the middle of the woods? Then it dawned on me - it had to be an army of some sort! I had to find out, if they were good or bad. If they were our army I might be able to get some food and warm clothes - but if they were bad? . . . I dared not to think what would happen. I began to watch my ever foot step making sure that I was so quite I would not even wake a mouse. When I could finally see the camp, my fears became true for it was the invading army.

My town had been attacked two nights prior by the Halation army. My family didn't make it, my mom helped me escape the women's slave prison and I've been alone ever since. I don't know if anyone from my town made it - I pray they did. Or if they didn't, I pray that their agony was swift and that they were set free from the pain. I began my descent back down the mountain looking for a place to spend the night. I had to find a way around the army - for to be caught would be worse then death - especially for a woman like me.

********************
I've been listening to the Gladiator sound track. That is my all time favorite movie!! I wonder if you can tell?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Margo, I saw the other post you had up but must have taken down about Ink Notes? I just wanted to say that you're more than welcome to steal the idea from me, and to pick music and write to it on however regular a basis you want. It isn't exactly an original idea or anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not many people follow my blog :/ so I'll just keep it low. But thanks Amanda! I just need to start writing again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just meant for yourself. Honestly, I've found that writing blogs just don't get a lot of followers. I have a lot on mine because I did a lot of political stuff at one point, but it's the writing posts that generally get the least about of comments and such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True. Last night was the first time that I let music carry my ideas away - put I got stuck on the music -because it's from my favorite movie, so I described it about the same :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your story. I just need to get going again too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks :) I forgot that i had written this :)

    ReplyDelete